Sunday, March 26, 2006

 

On the road to Biloxi

Today I began my most exciting journalistic trek to date. Who knows if I'll ever get a chance to take a trip like this again, even after I graduate.

Just like how any smart journalist should prepare, I spent the entire night playing "Streets of Rage 2" on my Sega Genesis. I could have been Googling last minute information on Biloxi and Pass Christian, but "Streets of Rage 2" was the only thing that could quench my thirst for beating up biker thugs.


The bus leaves the C-Lot from across the Student Center at around 7 a.m. I could feel my "Streets of Rage 2" hangover kicking in and fell asleep immediately. Around three hours later, I wake up to the downtown scenery of my hometown Columbus. After waving goodbye to the last familiar landscape I could recognize, I knew my trek into unchartered territory had officially begun.


I sat next to my photographer and partner-in-crime, Gavin Jackson. Around us were people that had more junk food between them than Anna Nicole Smith's kitchen cupboard. Just about every five seconds, I politely refused offers for Kit Kat bars, Reese's Pieces, Combos, Orbit Gum, Juicy Juice boxes and generic Golden Crisp cereal. Saying no to the Juicy Juice was the first of what I'm sure will be many poor decisions I make on this trip. Who in their right mind says no to grape juice?


After switching back and forth between napping and staring at passerby church signs reminding me "Hell is Real," we stopped for an hour in Kentucky for food. I'm sure the six-inch Subway sandwich I scarfed down will terrorize my digestive system within a few hours.


We just left the Kentucky stop and are now back on the road. It's been around six hours since I left and still have a good twelve hours or so to go. I've managed to make the time go by with napping, but these uncomfortable seats are bound to put me in a neck brace by the time the trip is over.

Time to count some sheep.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?